Report on Ride and Stride on 14/09/2013 by Malcolm Bell
CLESO were asked by Heritage of London to assist in providing organists for churches participating in the London Ride and Stride event - to provide some musical entertainment for the walkers and cyclists who were being sponsored to visit as many places of worship as they can.
On the day we were able to provide 16 hours of organ playing at the following churches:-
- St Paul, West Hackney - 10.00-12.00 and at 13.00
- St Mary, Islington - 11.00-14.00
- St Matthew, Bayswater - at 11.00, 13.00 and 15.00
- St James the Less, Pimlico - at 14.00
- Finnish Church in London, Rotherhithe - 11.00-13.00
- St Dunstan, Stepney at 11.00 and from 14.00-17.00
The organs varied from the old to the new, from the smallest single manual unenclosed at the Finnish Church to the large three manual ‘heritage’ organ at St Matthew.
A big thank you to David Sutton, Matt Gardner, Kathryn Rose, Eric Doig, Donald Preece, Charles Whitham and Malcolm Bell for being able to cover all the Churches that asked for our help.
An interesting experience and a good service to the churches and Heritage of London. CLESO also received some good publicity on the Heritage for London web site www.heritageoflondon.com